Most people with dementia live in the community, some with the help of relatives and friends, and latterly perhaps with additional support from health and social work. As a result people with dementia live in all types of housing.   Once you come to terms with your diagnosis you may decide to move to a property nearer to relatives, plan to live with a relative in future, or move to a home better suited to your anticipated future needs.  The Scottish Government is committed to encouraging older people to live as independently as they can in their own homes for as long as possible.  Read more about maintaining your independence in our sections on Staying Safe at Home, Dementia Friendly Design at Home and Dementia Friendly Gardens.

If you need to move within social housing on medical grounds you will need to ask for a Health Needs Assessment from the Housing Department which can be contacted on 0300 123 4510.

East Dunbartonshire’s Common Housing Register (CHR) is a combined single social housing list for the 15 Registered Social Landlords (RSLs) in this area. They all have access to information on each others housing stock. There is information for those currently in council housing who are seeking a Mutual Exchange or House Swap. Independent Housing Advice is available through your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

After many years of living with dementia in your own home, or with a relative, there may come a time when both you and your carer have to review your housing options.  Some forward planning in the early stages can be helpful and important in making sure you achieve your choice of long-stay care. See  A Positive Choice.  Choosing Long-stay Care for a Person with Dementia for useful information  and you also have a right to Independent Advocacy.

The Assisted Living Show Flat in East Dunbartonshire  at Auchinairn Gate, Bishopbriggs showcases the latest in home assistive technology equipment for independent living and people with dementia and their carers are invited to book a visit.