Dementia Specific Support
Contact East Dunbartonshire Dementia Network for information and advice on all aspects of dementia.
I can’t believe my husband is sitting here talking so openly about dementia!
Quote from Person who attends De Café:
Dementia cafes are groups for anyone living with, or concerned about, dementia or memory loss. These are informal settings where people with dementia and their carers can meet up and speak to each other. Staff are also on hand to provide information and support and we have regular speakers.
- De Café Bishopbriggs, Woodhill Evangelical Church, Wester Cleddans Road, the first Tuesday of the month, 2.30pm-4.00pm
- De Café Milngavie, Milngavie Manor, Craigton Road, Milngavie, G62 7JG, the first Wednesday of the month, 2pm-3.30pm
- De Café Lenzie, Lenzie Union Parish Church, Kirkintilloch Rd, Lenzie, G66 4LD, the second Monday of the month, 1.30pm-3.00pm
- De Café Killermont, Killermont Parish Church, Rannoch Drive, Bearsden, G61 2LD, the fourth Tuesday of the month, 2.00pm-4.00pm. In partnership with Killermont Parish Church
- De Café Kirkintilloch, Kirkintilloch Baptist Church, Upper Hall, 52 Townhead, last Friday of the month, 1.30pm-3.00pm
- De Café Bearsden, Bearsden Baptist Church, Roman Road, Bearsden, G61 2SL, second Thursday of the month, 10.30-12
Carers Link Groups
Carer Cafés offer a relaxed environment for carers, with easy access and an opportunity to make friends and talk to others in a similar position while enjoying a coffee and a slice of cake. The cafés are open to all carers, with experienced staff on hand to offer information, support and advice.
- Carers Café Bearsden, The Inn, Station Road, G61, the 1st Monday of the month, group runs from 10.30am-12.30pm
- Carers Cafe Bishopbriggs, The Avenue, 177 Kirkintilloch Road, Bishopbriggs, G64 2LS, the 2nd Monday of the month, group runs from 10.30am-12.30pm
- Carers Cafe Milngavie, Milngavie Enterprise Centre, Ellangowan Road, Milngavie G62 8PH, the 2nd Friday of the month, group runs from 10.30am-12.30pm
- Carers Cafe Kirkintilloch, Nonna’s Kitchen, Kirkintilloch, the 4th Monday of the month, group runs from 10.30am-12.30pm
- Dementia Support Group for Carers, Milngavie Enterprise Centre, Ellangowan Road, Milngavie G62 8PH on the 3rd Thursday of the month, group runs from 10.30am-12.30pm
- Dementia Support Group for Carers, Woodhill Evangelical Church on the third Tuesday of the month
Alzheimer Scotland Community Groups
The Picture House
- 1st Friday of the month from 2.00pm – United Free Church, Craigdhu Road, Milngavie, G62 6NL***
**** Please note that the Church Hall is currently under renovation and the Picture House is being held in Antonine Care Home, Roman Road, Bearsden in March and possibly April 2018
Football Reminiscence Groups
- Bearsden – 1st and 3rd Monday of each month from 2.00 – 3.30pm in Dementia Resource Centre, Bearsden
- Bishopbriggs – 2nd and 4th Monday of each month from 2.00 – 3.30pm in Woodhill Evangelical Church, 30 Wester Cleddens Rd, Bishopbriggs, Glasgow G64 2NH
Mind That Song
- Bearsden – 2nd Friday of the month from 2.00 – 3.30pm – Church of Scotland, Bearsden South Parish Church, 61 Drymen Road, Bearsden
- Kirkintilloch – 3rd Friday of the month from 2.00 – 3.30pm – Hillhead Parish Church, 2 Rosebank Avenue, Kirkintilloch
For information and details about Alzheimer Scotland Community Groups please contact:- Anne O’Donnell, Community Activity Organiser, Bearsden Resource Centre on 0141 946 0966 or email: ao’email@example.com
Other Community Groups
Musical Memory Groups
Come & Sing Lenzie – 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month from 1.30pm – 3.00pm – Lenzie Old Parish Church Hall, Garngaber Ave, Kirkintilloch, Glasgow G66 4LJ. Contact: 0141 776 0491
Thank You for The Music – 3rd Thursday of the month from 1.30pm – 3.00pm – Torrance Parish Church, 1 School Road, Torrance, Glasgow, G64 4BZ. Contact: Marion Murray on 01360 620228.
SingSong, Dementia-friendly community choir –1st and 3rd Friday of the month. Cuppa at 1.30pm and singing from 2-3pm.
Voluntary Support Groups
The following groups offer opportunities for people living with dementia to socialise in a small group and enjoy crafts, board and card games, singing, conversation and reminiscences in a caring and supportive environment.
Daybreak – Every Thursday, 1.30pm – 3.30pm – New Kilpatrick Church, Manse Road, Bearsden. For details contact: Morven on 0141 942 6963 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Breakaway – Every Tuesday, 1.00pm – 4.00pm – St Paul’s Church, 3 Baldernock Rd, Milngavie, Glasgow G62 8DP. For details contact: Anne O’Donnell or Angi Inch on 0141 946 0966.
Come Dine With Me
Sometimes as dementia progresses a pleasurable activity eg. going to a restaurant can become more difficult. Bield Housing recognise this and offer Come Dine with Me experiences to help people with dementia, carers, family and friends enjoy the experience of eating out together. These experiences are available at Mary’s Kitchen in Kirkintilloch and at Wee Betty’s Bistro in Milngavie. They are a series of monthly dining sessions where staff from Bield are on hand to serve food from a special menu in the centres’ dining rooms, they can also assist with personal care needs if required. You can bring your own bottle, the service is free but most people who use the service make a small donation.
Coming soon – Alzheimer Scotland’s new dining out club – Come Dine with Us – the last Wednesday of every month in partnership with the ‘R’ group of restaurants. Time 7.00pm – 9.00pm. Location with vary between Oregano Restaurant, Bishopbriggs and Garvies Restaurant, Milngavie.
First get together is on Wednesday 25th April 2018 in Oregano Restaurant, Bishopbriggs. For further information please contact: Anne O’Donnell, Alzheimer Scotland on 0141 946 0966 or email: ao’email@example.com. Places must be booked in advance.
Having your Say
A diagnosis of dementia should not mean that you no longer have views, opinions and skills that you can continue to contribute and be a valued member of your local community.
Dementia Voices is a group for people living with dementia, where they have the opportunity to discuss specific issues or concerns they may face and have their views and opinions on local issues and services voiced. The group meets around six times per year and new members are always welcome. To find out more contact Ceartas Dementia Link Worker on 0141 775 0433.
Co-production in East Dunbartonshire
Co-production in East Dunbartonshire is about professionals and communities making better use of each other’s skills, assets and resources to achieve better outcomes. PRESENT is about giving people living with dementia a stronger presence in their local communities. A report sets out the achievements of PRESENT as of February 2016 and illustrates how it made a difference to people living with dementia in East Dunbartonshire. A further Report produced by the local consultancy company Integratis Consulting provides qualitative evidence of the difference PRESENT has made to people living with dementia. In particular, the report captures people participating in PRESENT through a series of personal statements and a number of sound clips. To become involved get in touch through Dementia Voices on 0141 775 0433 or contact East Dunbartonshire Council on 03001234510 and ask for Social Work.